Thursday, September 26, 2013

Simple Seasonal Supper

Last week, I picked up beets and a small pumpkin squash from the grocery store (my garden space is small, so I don't grow either of these veggies) and decided to make a simple seasonal supper a few nights ago.  Although the veggies took approximately 1 hour to bake, the preparation time was pretty quick.  To prepare the squash, I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, placed the squash into a casserole dish, spooned some of the tomato 'juice' I had on hand from the many tomatoes I have harvested from my garden this year into the centre, added some oregano and sea salt, and baked for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Once the squash was in the oven, I diced the beets and placed them in a casserole dish with diced onion, garlic, and zucchini.  I added a simple tahini sauce (tahini, nutritional yeast, tamari, lemon juice) over the veggies and placed the dish, alongside the squash, in the oven and baked for 45-50 minutes.  The whole preparation time for both of these dishes combined was at the most 20 minutes!  Once the veggies were ready, I served them with pinto beans and short grain brown rice.  This was a hearty and delicious and easy fall meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment