Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sunny quinoa and lentils



For the seventh day of the cleanse, I started with a fruit smoothie for breakfast and had the black bean soup and guacamole from last night's supper for lunch. For supper, I started with a red leaf lettuce and dandelion leaf salad and then had sunny quinoa with lentils and stir fried vegetables. To cook the quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), I placed 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in a pot, brought to a boil, reduced to simmer for 20 minutes - I like quinoa fluffy and light, so I add small amounts (1 - 2 tbsp per time) of extra water 3 - 4 times throughout the cooking process. At the same time I was cooking the quinoa, I also started 1 cup of french lentils (in water, brought to a boil, reduced to slightly lower heat for 30 minutes, drain, rinse) and a stir fry with onions, garlic, shitake mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, bok choy, and purple kale. Once the quinoa was finished cooking, I added the extra ingredients to transform it into sunny quinoa (see top picture to left)!


Here is the recipe for the sunny quinoa:


2 cups quinoa, cooked, 1/2 leek, chopped, 2 small carrots, grated, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed, 2 tsp tahini


With pot of quinoa still on stove (burner turned off), add leek, grated carrots, and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and tahini - once finished, add to quinoa mixture.


Once the sunny quinoa was finished, I added the green lentils and stir fry, seasoned with flax oil and sea salt and enjoyed a light and delicious meal (see bottom picture to left)!

No comments:

Post a Comment