Monday, January 4, 2010

Rice pasta and chickpeas


For the fourth day of the cleanse, I started with a fruit smoothie for breakfast and had the simple stir fry from last night's supper for lunch. For supper, I started off with a red leaf lettuce salad and then had rice pasta with chickpeas (see picture to the left). Although pasta is a minimally processed food, I do think it is fine to include on a cleanse. I had rice pasta, rather than spelt or kamut pasta, because I am not having gluten containing grains on the cleanse (if a person is doing a wheat free cleanse, spelt or kamut pasta would be fine). The brand of rice pasta I prefer is tinkyada (tonight I had the spaghetti style brown rice pasta) which I find to be the tastiest and easiest to cook rice pasta I have tried (it is very easy to overcook rice pasta which results in it becoming quite gluey and mushy). Tonight, for the rice pasta and chickpeas, I placed the rice pasta in a large pot of boiling water for 16 minutes, then drained, and tossed the pasta with olive and sesame oil to prevent it from becoming too sticky. I also cooked the chickpeas and stir fry (in separate pots/pans!) at the same time as the rice pasta (see Jan 1 post for how to cook chickpeas and stir fry). The vegetables that were included in the stir fry were onions, garlic, ginger, carrots, zucchini, shitake mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, and black kale. Once the pasta, chickpeas, and stir fry were dished up, fresh avocado was added and the food was seasoned with flax oil and sea salt. Another simple but delicious meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment