Thursday, January 28, 2010

Quinoa and Steamed Vegetables


For the twenty eighth day of the cleanse, I started with a fruit smoothie (blueberries, blackberries, and banana) for breakfast and then had the pasta and pinto beans from last night's supper for lunch. For supper, I started with a red leaf lettuce, dandelion greens, and arugula salad and then had quinoa and steamed vegetables, another simple supper. I started by cooking the quinoa (1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water, brought to boil, reduced to simmer for 20 minutes). When there were 15 minutes left for the quinoa to cook, I added 1 portobello mushroom, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, minced, and a pinch of sea salt for extra flavor. Once the quinoa was finished cooking, I mixed in 1 green onion, chopped, to add further flavor. I also cooked french lentils (1 cup lentils, covered with water, brought to boil, reduced to slightly lower heat for 25 minutes) while the quinoa was cooking. At the same time, I also steamed vegetables, including carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green kale, snow peas, and green beans. Once the vegetables were finished steaming, I tossed them with 1 tbsp flax oil, 1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed, and 1 tsp sesame seeds. Once the meal was dished up (see picture to the left), it was seasoned with additional flax oil and sea salt. This was a light and flavorful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment